How to make Water Kefir
Basic Water Kefir Instructions
Supplies and Ingredients :
- 100 grams water kefir grains (ratio : kefir grains / water ~ 1/10)
- 1 liter of water (well water, hard water preferably)
- 75 grams of unrefined sugar (cane sugar preferably)
- sweet dried fruit (figs 2 or some raisins; dried unsulphured fruit is the best)
- half a lemon (organic, if unpeeled wash the lemon first)
- glass jar of 1.5 to 2 liters
- plastic sieve or strainer
- coffee filter or cloth
- rubber band
- plastic spoon
- Rinse the kefir grains under running cold water.
- Dissolve the sugar in some hot water. Stir well. Pour the rest of the gallon of water into the jar. Allow the water to cool down to room temperature.
- Place the kefir grains and the dried fruit to the water.
- Cover the jar with a breathable cloth or coffee filter (to keep away the fruit flies), put the jar somewhere warm (not in direct sunlight).
- After about 24 ~ 48 hours the kefir will be ready. To separate the grains, fruit use a strainer, pick out any fruit or lemon. Squeeze the lemon into your strained kefir. Throw away the dried fruit. You can keep the strained drink in the refrigerator.
- Rinse the kefir grains under running water. The kefir grains can be used immediately for the next preparation.
Tips and Tricks on Water Kefir
Do a second ferment. You may drink water kefir after the first fermentation but it is flat. A second ferment brings the carbonation and tastiness.
Always “burp” your bottles during the second fermentation. The carbonation build-up over time can lead to the jar exploding.
Measure out the amount of kefir grains (ratio : 1/10) you want to use in your next preparation.
Use spring water. Spring water has many minerals, minerals are important for the health of your kefir grains.
Where can I find water kefir grains ?
Live water kefir grains are grown in unrefined organic sugar, molasses and spring water, detailed instructions and support are provided by the Kefirshop.eu. The kefir grains will multiply quickly so you should never need to buy kefir grains again. Shipped First Class – Orders are posted on Monday till Thursday, to avoid being in the post office over the weekend. Kefir can be shipped to following countries : Europe: Albania, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Croatia, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Nederland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey, Belarus, Sweden and Switzerland.