What is Water kefir ?
Water kefir is a great probiotic beverage. You make water kefir yourself using water kefir grains. After making the Water kefir it contains many vitamins and probiotic lactic acid bacteria.
How to make Water kefir ?
If you have Water kefir grains it is actually very easy. You make Water kefir according to a recipe (see article below).
What do you need ?
- 1 jar of about 1 liter of capacity.
- Bottles of about 1 liter of capacity.
- A plastic colander
- Plastic measuring jug
- A Plastic or Wooden spoon
What you need as ingredients ?
- Water kefir grains
- Water, prefered spring water
- Organic lemons
- Organically unsulphured dried fruit
- 30 – 50 grams of organic sugars
How to start ?
If you just received your water kefir grains by postal, you should rinse them under running water.
- To make 1 liter of kefir you use about 100 grams kefir grains.
- Pour 1 liter water into the jar.
- Cut the lemon into 2 pieces.
- Add 30 grams of sugar. Best use organic sugar.
- Add 2 to 3 pieces of dried fruit. For example: dates, figs, apricots, raisins.
- Stir the kefir gently with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the jar with a breathable cloth and put in a bright place, not in direct sunlight.
- Stir once a day.
- After about 1 to 3 days you can harvest. The longer you leave it, the more it will ferment. Surely harvest after 72 hours, otherwise the kefir grains run out of food.
How to harvest ?
- Open the jar, remove the cloth.
- Remove the lemons.
- Remove the dried fruit and throw it away.
- Squeeze the lemon halves from above the colander. So, the lemon juice gets into the bottle.
- Strain the kefir. Pour the kefir above the sieve into the bottle, it is ready to use and can be kept in the refrigerator.
- Rinse the kefir grains carefully under running water.
- Start Again with the set-up and start your next kefir batch.
What type of sugar to use ?
This may be organic sugar, cane sugar, agave syrup, juice concentrate, coconut blossom sugar.
Where do I get kefirgrains ?
Kefir is growing constantly, if you take care of them properly and use the right products, your kefir grains will grow slightly each time, after each batch. At one point you can start making 2 jars with kefir, or you can make someone else happy with the kefir grains, so that person can also start with making kefir. Or else you even can eat the kefir grains, give them to your pets.
Do you know anyone who has water kefir grains ? You can also order them online. Take a peek at the KEFIRSHOP.eu.
- Use no honey. Honey has an antibacterial effect and therefore it will kill the bacteria in the kefirgrains.
- Best only use plastic material.
- Wash the jars and bottles just with hot water. Detergent can also affect the kefir grains.
- Use organic ingredients. Pesticides can also affect the kefir grains.
- Look out, when you close the lid of the jar, while fermenting there is a rish the jar will explode, we only use a breathable cloth.
Alcohol in water kefir ?
Note that by fermentation alcohol starts building, water kefir contains a small percentage of alcohol. The alcohol content is estimated at 0,2 to max. 2%.
On this website you can read all about Water kefir.
Have a nice day everyone!